Society of La Madonna Dei Martiri and the Hoboken Italian Festival
VINCENZO “JIMMY” DE PINTO and ALDO DE PINTO
Established in 1998, this annual scholarship is made available to qualifying high school seniors in memory of Vincenzo “Jimmy” De Pinto, a late president of the Society, for his contributions to the Societa Madonna Dei Martiri, the Hoboken Italian Festival and his devotion to the Madonna.
Emigrating from Italy, Mr. De Pinto never abandoned his Italian culture and traditions, nor ceased his devotion to the Madonna, the patron saint of Molfetta and his place of birth. Similar to the multitude of Italian-Americans who started a new life here, he strongly believed in his adopted country, and valued the opportunities available for those willing to work for it.
He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was proud to be one of the tens of thousands of Italian-Americans who helped build the United States. Although higher education was never available to him, he believed that education was essential and that it secured the future of the individual and America.
This award celebrates the memory of Vincenzo “Jimmy” De Pinto, a respected man of integrity and ethnic pride, who had a strong belief in Our Lady and our country.
Aldo, Jimmy’s oldest son, proudly upheld and continued his father’s traditions by also serving as president of the Society. Since Aldo’s passing in 2000, this award is given in honor of both gentlemen.
Applicants must satisfy the following requirements:
- A descendant of a family member from Italy
- Resident of the Hoboken, New Jersey area
- Graduating senior from Hoboken High School, St. Peter’s Prep, St. Dominic Academy or other area high schools
- Accepted to a four year full time college program commencing in September 2017
- Descendants of Vincenzo or Aldo De Pinto are not eligible, nor are members of the Society and their families
Applications are evaluated by the De Pinto Family
and the President of the Society (or his appointee) on the basis of:
- Academics and academic awards
- Athletics, extra-curricular activities and jobs held while in school
- Community service
- A written essay
The following must accompany completed application forms:
- High school transcript.
- Letter of acceptance from a four year college and acknowledgment to attend.
- Two letters of reference. One should be from a faculty member of your school.
- A 500-word essay describing your intended course of study, any Italian-Americans who have made contributions in this field and why you are deserving of the scholarship.
The award presentation will be made during the
Hoboken Italian Festival, Sept. 8-11, 2016.
Application Due Date: April 21, 2017
Send completed applications and requested documents by the due date to:
Len DePinto, c/o Union Paving & Construction Co., Inc.
1140 Globe Avenue, Mountainside, NJ 07092
LDepinto “@” UnionPaving.com Subject: SMDM Scholarship